In 2019 the parishes of ‘Hemel Hempstead’ and ‘Hemel Hempstead West’ were joined together as a new parish, ‘Hemel West.’
St. Mary and St. Joseph
The Catholic church of St Mary and St Joseph, Boxmoor, was established in 1898 and is the oldest Catholic church in Hemel Hempstead. We are a lively community of people from every walk of life and many different nations. We range across the generations from toddlers to seniors.
The Catholic parochial area of Hemel Hempstead West was created in 1967 when the John F Kennedy School opened. Our first priest was Fr Vincent Cummerford, who taught in the school, ministered to the local catholic community. We became a full parish when our church was built in the year 2000.
We are a growing community and many of us have strong links with John F Kennedy Catholic Secondary School, St. Cuthbert Mayne Junior School or St. Roses Infant School, all of which are within the parish.
We are blessed with a very active Ordinariate group who worship St. Mark’s. For further information about our Ordinariate group click HERE.