Marriage Information

In the Catholic Church the celebration of the love between a man and a woman is ritualised in the Sacrament of Marriage.  A couple are to give at least 6 months’ notice to the Church before the date of marriage, this time allows the opportunity to gather the necessary paperwork together, Baptismal Certificates, Statutory Declaration of Freedom forms, information on a pre-marriage course and the opportunity to help prepare for the actual celebration of the sacrament in church.  Notice must also be given to the State Registrar.  For more information, please contact Juliet at the Parish Office in Quex Road.

Church Documents and Requirements

  • Six months minimum notice to be given;
  • Arrange an appointment with priest of the parish where you are currently resident;
  • Book date for Marriage to be established only within appointment with priest and not by phone;
  • Marriage preparation course attended (details available below)
  • Recent copies of Baptismal Certificate (date of issue within six months of first appointment)
  • Confirmation Certificate
  • Declaration of Freedom (one each) to be signed before a Commissioner for Oaths or a Solicitor.
  • Dispensations: these are church permissions applied for in the case of a Catholic marrying a person from another Christian tradition or a non-baptised person, or for a couple who were married civilly but want to share now the Sacrament of Marriage (convalidation). There are other areas that may require a dispensation so it is important that these matters are addressed at the earliest possible time and before a date is set.
  • There is a charge of £50 for documents that have to be processed through the Chancery Office of the Diocese.

Pre-Marriage Course

Some of the more well-know remote facilitated marriage preparation options are: Marriage CareMarriage Encounter- engaged ; SmartLovingEngagedUKCatholicMarriagePrep; 

There are other pre-marriage courses available around the diocese; some are day courses on a Saturday. You are required by most dioceses to attend a course as part of your preparation for marriage.

Civil Registration: Certificate for Marriage

Must be applied for by each couple from each couples respective Council Registration Office. You must make an appointment and be interviewed. The Certificate for Marriage document is held and displayed publicly for 21 days after which you must collect them. It is advisable to begin the process of obtaining your Certificates for Marriage at least four months before your wedding. Both Certificates for Marriage documents should be given to the priest as soon as you receive them. You cannot be married without them.

Marrying in another City or Country

If you are planning to marry outside the Archdiocese of Westminster, i.e. in another city or in another country and you have lived in your current location for more that six month, the priest is required to gather all your documents and forward them through the Chancery (Diocesan Office) who then send them on to diocese and church in which the marriage is to take place.

Civil Requirements for another Country

If you are getting married in another country, you must find out all that you need to do to comply with the Civil Authorities requirements for your marriage. Contact the relevant Embassy of High Commission for information.

Time of Wedding at Sacred Heart Church

Usually Saturdays earliest 2pm and latest 4pm
Weddings can take place on weekdays but not on Sundays.


A rehearsal will be arranged for a few days before the wedding. It is important the all the main people involved should be present. Readers should also be present at practice. This is an appropriate time to bring envelopes with the registrar’s fees and offerings for the Church, priest and sacristan. The Rehearsal is the best time to bring the offerings and fees for the Wedding day.


Priests often hear the question, “How much does a wedding cost, Father?” The answer, of course, is that there is no charge for the sacraments. The sacraments are dispensed by the Church as gifts from God to the community. There is, however a long standing custom of free will offerings made by the faithful on the occasion of certain sacraments. These offerings reflect both gratitude to God and appreciation of the ministry of priests.

Sacred Heart Church is served by the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate and your offering should recognise the expense a parish incurs in connection with all involved with your marriage. The offering should be in proportion to the other costs of the wedding celebrations. The Offerings are not for the priest but for the Oblate Mission.

Authorised Person

The official fee for the AP is £80.

Church Offering

An offering of £150 towards the cost of providing church facilities is suggested. Cheques made payable to “Sacred Heart Church”


By arrangement with our florist – Paula Murphy 07811179481
Cost of flowers arrangement to be agreed with the florist.


An offering of £20 is suggested


Negotiate directly regarding fee:
Helen Blake – Organ/Piano (m 07946 533 776) 020 8933 2512
Roy Emerson – Organ (m 07973 517 788) 020 7267 5858
Christopher Matthews – Organ 020 8458 6262 (

Time Keeping

Please keep to the time you agreed. Lateness is very disrespectful and delays everything else that follows your wedding in the Church. It is common courtesy to arrive on time. Allow for traffic, fittings, hair styling, and above all photographs. There is no excuse.

Recording and Photography in Church

Only the official appointed photographer should move around on the sanctuary and only agreed with prior approval of the ministering priest.


Bio-degradable confetti may be used but only outside the church.

k candles