www.cbcew.org.uk is the official website for the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales. Find out about ongoing activities of the Bishops’ Conference alongside information and resource sections relevant during this period of ongoing restriction. With this in mind, CBCEW have arranged live streaming of the following:
What does the Catholic Bishop’s Conference of England and Wales do?
CBCEW is the permanent assembly of Catholic Bishops in the two member countries. There are 22 dioceses within England and Wales represented by Archbishops, Bishops and Auxillary Bishops, the Bishopric of the Forces, the Apostolic Eparch (Bishopric) of the Ukranian Church in Great Britain, the Apostolic Eparch of the Syro-Malabar Catholic Eparchy of Great Britain, the Bishop of Gibraltar, the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham and the Apostolic Prefect of the Falkland Islands.
An insight into the work the CBCEW undertakes can be seen through the departments each dealing with specific topic matters.
- Christian Life and Worship
- Dialogue and Unity
- Catholic Education and Formation
- Evangelisation and Discipleship
- International Affairs
- Social Justice
Each department consists of bishops and staff, and is chaired by one bishop. Other bishops contribute as episcopal staff, and there are a few other members serving as staff. Each department is further subdivided into committees; a separate member of the episcopal staff of that department oversees the reports and work of their committee. In addition, there are official agencies working with and on behalf of CBCEW. They work in the fields of overseas mission, aid and development, education, racial justice and maritime welfare. Each agency has a bishop as President, Chairman or Episcopal Liaison. They are:
- Apostleship of the Sea – supporting seafarers from across the world meeting their needs by offering help, support and advice.
- CAFOD – official aid agency for the Catholic Church in England and Wales.
- Caritas Social Action Network (CSAN) – official agency of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales for domestic social action.
- Catholic Education Service (CESEW) – represents CBCEW national education policy in relation to the 2,300 Catholic schools, colleges & university colleges across England and Wales.
- Missio – official support organisation for overseas mission. It raises awareness and fosters prayer and co-operation in the whole Church.
The Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales Vimeo platform (access through the link) hosts messages from the Cardinal, recordings of the Masses listed below and a range of videos and talks covering the “diverse spectrum of life in the Catholic Church in England and Wales.” In addition, there are over 500 videos to browse at CBCEW on Vimeo covering a range of topics such as “Merciful like the Father” series from the Jubilee Year of Mercy through to the Survivors of Human Trafficking and Modern Slavery. There are a number of films where both men and women describe the exploitation they experienced at the hands of criminals involved in human trafficking. Their courage, bravery in speaking out, and their invaluable, honest insights they give highlights the damage caused by human trafficking and modern slavery . Please note: the contributors speak frankly and honestly – caution and discretion are advised. 18+.