St James’s Spanish Place
St James’s is an English Gothic Roman Catholic Church with historical connections to Spanish Place. Shortly after the Roman Catholic Relief Act of 1791 was repealed, a Joseph Bonomi designed chapel was built here on the corner of Spanish Place and Charles Street (now George Street). The project was championed by Thomas Hussey, then a chaplain at the embassy. In 1827 the official Spanish connection with the chapel ceased and it was handed over to the London Vicariate. An example of its Spanish heritage can be found above the Sacristy entrance in Alfonso XIII’s personal standard. St James’s is grade II listed with Historic England. Read more about the Embassy Chapel.