At St Theodore’s we have a long and established record of supporting CAFOD’s work in developing countries. Our recent Lent Fast Day collection and Zimbabwean dinner in March raised over £600 for essential work in Zimbabwe, thank you so much to everyone who contributed so generously! A special thank you to Ann Macpherson for all her wonderful support to CAFOD over the years.
During the recent lockdown, many of us have had a lot of time to think about ways that we can live more simply and be more sustainable both in our parish and in our own homes. CAFOD is launching a “Live Simply” award scheme where all parishioners are invited to take part in making our parish more sustainable. Here are some ways you could contribute:
- Support Fairtrade by buying products with the Fairtrade logo; many of these are available from your local supermarket including tea, coffee, sugar, biscuits and fruit. Look out for the Fairtrade logo which means that the goods have been produced sustainably and are supporting local farmers.
- Donate any spare tinned food or non-perishable goods to a foodbank for local families; this helps to cut down on waste and provides great support for families in a time of financial constraints.
- Try to grow your own food, maybe plant a small vegetable garden or try growing some herbs in your windowsill.
- Look at ways you can reduce waste in your own home by recycling. Donate old gadgets to CAFOD for recycling at cafod.org.uk/recycling
- Love cooking? Why not order the Live Simply cookery book, full of delicious recipes for all the family. You can order at email@example.com
- Get more tips to live simply on your own, with your family or with your community at cafod.org.uk/livesimplyideas
- Take the Laudato Si’ pledge to pray for and with creation, live more simply and advocate to protect our common home http://livelaudatosi.org/
- Donate whatever you can online to St Theodore’s Just Giving page which supports CAFOD’s Coronavirus appeal helping to provide urgent healthcare and medical support in developing countries https://www.justgiving.com/StTheodoresHampton