We are fundraising to save an historic organ for the benefit of our local community. We need the last £10,000 to save this exceptional musical instrument. Can you help?
The WW1 commemorative Hunter organ at St Mellitus church (Stroud Green) is a unique instrument which when fully restored will mean the local community and wider music-loving public will have access to one of London’s finest organs.
The instrument was commissioned in 1918 to commemorate the 221 men from the parish who fought in the Great War. It is registered on the British Institute of Organ Studies register and has a Grade II historic organ certificate. The ten-month restoration will see the organ restored in time for the centenary of its original dedication on 12th December 2020.
The National Lottery Heritage Fund has awarded 90 per cent of the required funding to restore the organ and deliver a programme of historical, educational and musical activities, providing a range of opportunities for local people. Highlights include:
- volunteers uncovering the fascinating histories of the men to whom the organ is dedicated
- a group of young people receiving hands-on media training to tell the story of the organ and its particular history
- a series of musical events throughout the year, in the ‘Year of the Organ’. The first of these will on 18th April in celebration of National Organ Day and there will be an event in December to celebrate the centenary of the organ
- children at local schools who wouldn’t otherwise have the opportunity are receiving free piano lessons through the St Mellitus Music Scholarship
We now need to complete our fundraising to ensure the successful completion of the organ restoration and activity programme and establish a legacy fund for the organ’s on-going community usage and enjoyment.
Our target is £10,000. Please give what you can. You can donate:
- Online: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fund/stmellitusorgan
- By cheque: cheques should be paid payable to ‘St Mellitus Church’ and please write on the back, ‘for organ fund.’
- By BACS to: Westminster Roman Catholic Diocese Trustee St Mellitus Church Tollington Park Acc No: 21264869 / Sort Code: 40-05-20 Please reference ‘St Mellitus Organ Fund’
- By cash to the parish office