The Parish of Whitton is situated in the Upper Thames Deanery. It was founded in 1934 by the Edmundite Fathers (Society of St Edmund). The first church was built in 1935 and the new church was consecrated in 1972.
IN 1934, the Edmundite order acquired a piece of property in Whitton known as “The Retreat.” Father Cheray and other Edmundites worked to convert existing structures on the property into a chapel for worship. “The Retreat” witnessed its first mass on September 24, 1934 offered by Father Cheray. Three years later, in 1937, a permanent church was erected at 213 Nelson Road. Masses were conducted uninterrupted until a German “oil bomb” destroyed the new church on October 29, 1940. In the aftermath of the destruction, Father Cheray and his parish desperately worked to erect a temporary church in an effort to restore normalcy. After the war, a larger permanent church was built and the original church was converted into a parish hall. The new church opened in 1963 and was consecrated in 1972. In 1988 the Edmundite Fathers left Whitton returning to the US, since when the parish has been in the care of the secular clergy of Westminster Diocese.
We meet in Christ’s name from many different backgrounds and circumstances to acknowledge our complete dependence on him and to receive from him the strength we need to serve him faithfully in the world.